So the holidays are finally coming to an end! And that can only mean one thing, cold and flu season. Which is indefinitely less exciting. My dad started us off last weekend with illness that ended up being a small case of pneumonia because he wouldn’t go to the doctor. (Don’t worry, he finally went and is now feeling much better) However, that left my mom and I with some kind of oncoming head cold. She’s been feeling pretty crummy for a few days, but mine just started yesterday. If there is one thing I hate in this world it is being sick. It is the absolute worst! So before this cold can become more than just a tickle in my throat I decided to take some action. I’ve been doing a few things:
1. Allergy meds! I never had allergies until I went to college but I swear by Allegra! It’s great. I took one this morning after I woke up and felt better within a few hours. Just make sure you don’t overdo it!
2. Drink a lot of water! I’ve always been a huge water drinker myself, so it isn’t hard to stick to this simple rule. The last thing you want while you are getting sick to to also be dehydrated, especially if you have a temperature. The more water you drink the faster your body can flush out all the bad stuff inside.
3. Tea time! Recently, I started drinking a lot of hot tea. I don’t know why, but I’ve been replacing my usual coffee with it. Pretty much anywhere you want to look people are praising the benefits of drinking tea (mostly that they are full of antioxidants!). Plus, it’s warm, has very little or no calories, and has caffeine! You can also buy tea that helps you go to sleep (literally called Sleepy Time Tea). I jumped on the tea train and I don’t think I’m getting off anytime soon.
4. Take a bath! There is nothing in the world that feels better than taking a bath when you are feeling bad. Whether it is a cold, a long day, or just the crappy weather taking a long hot bath just hits the spot. I live in a dorm while I’m away at school so I never get to indulge. But since I’ve been home let me tell you, I take like three a week. All you need is some bubbles, a classical music Pandora station, and as much time as you want. You won’t regret it.
Now that I’ve given you my tips on a holiday detox, I have just one more to share. In an extended attempt to battle this cold I scoured the internet in the hope of finding something to help me nip it in the bud. Enter the Detox Bath. This bath isn’t necessarily designed to help you relax but to help you sweat out all the bad stuff in your system (all that bacteria and infection). I’m always up to try something new so I gave it a shot.
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup of Epsom Salt (strengthens immune system)
- 1 cup of Baking Soda (neutralizes chemicals in your tap water)
- 3-5 Green Tea Bags (antioxidant)
Make sure the water is hot, but it doesn’t need to burn your skin off. After the tub is about half full, add all of the above and mix them around. Soak for 20-40 minutes. The heat and sweat could cause you to feel light-headed/dizzy so be careful when you get out of the tub. Also, make sure you drink a lot of water. You’ve sweated out some bad stuff, but also some good stuff so you need to keep yourself hydrated.
If you are like me and have a head cold the detox bath will help clear up all that congestion and you will be able to breath better. I took one a few hours ago and while I do still have some drainage, I can breath much more clearly!
Hope you all are having a fabulous holiday!
Stay tuned for some New Year’s resolutions!